For years we have been experimenting with Syrah, an international variety thriving in the ideal conditions on our lands. La Monaca is our unique interpretation of this grape variety. The wine takes its name from a hill of the same name, which plays a crucial role in our viticulture because of its rich, natural water sources. The water resources, together with the breeze coming from the Gulf of Castellammare, allow for a consistent and thorough ripening that is reflected in the strong Mediterranean taste of La Monaca wine.
GRANDE VIGNA LA MONACA
AN IDEAL VINEYARD, IDENTIFIED AFTER YEARS OF EXPERIMENTATION
The Vigna La Monaca, two hectares planted in 2011 at an altitude of 320 meters above sea level, has a northeast exposure that provides good light as well as protection from hot summer temperatures. This means that in hotter and drier years the vines suffer less, allowing for consistent ripening. The low vigor, low productivity, and soil characteristics are conducive to a balanced and complete ripening of the grapes, more suitable for full-bodied red wines intended for bottle age. The training system is espalier, with guyot pruning and a density of 4,600 vines per hectare.
COOL SOILS, WHERE SYRAH THRIVES
The Vigna La Monaca is characterized by sandy-textured soil (37.4% sand, 12.5% clay), which is well aerated, very draining, and therefore drier, making the vines less vigorous. The presence of active limestone facilitates the development of aromas and the richness of potassium promotes the accumulation of sugars, aromas, and anthocyanins in the grapes.
1. Flavor intensity
Appellation: Monreale Red DOC
Production area: Tenuta Sallier de La Tour – Monreale (PA) – Sicily
Vineyard: La Monaca
Year Planted: 2011
Elevation: 320 m.a..s.l.
Training system: espalier
Pruning system: guyot
Vines per ha: 4,600
Yield per ha: 80 ql
Fermentation: traditional in red
Fermentation temperature: 25-30°C
Duration of fermentation: 15 days
Malolactic fermentation: fully developed
Aging: in French oak barrels for 14 months
Alcohol content: 15% Vol.
Wine analytical data: pH 3.42 – TA 6 g/l – RS 1.1 g/l – TE 32.2 g/l
- Vintage 2019Guide James SucklingAward 93/100
- Vintage 2019Guide FalstaffAward 92/100
- Vintage 2019Guide The Wine HunterAward Rosso
- Vintage 2018Guide Wine EnthusiastAward 90/100
- Vintage 2018Guide James SucklingAward 94/100
- Vintage 2018Guide VinousAward 93+/100
- Vintage 2017Guide Wine EnthusiastAward 90/100
- Vintage 2017Guide Robert ParkerAward 92+/100
- Vintage 2017Guide James SucklingAward 92/100
- Vintage 2017Guide Luca MaroniAward 94/100
- Vintage 2015Guide James SucklingAward 94/100
- Vintage 2012Guide Robert ParkerAward 91/100
- Vintage 2010Guide I Vini di VeronellAward Super Tre Stelle
- Vintage 2010Guide Luca MaroniAward Il Miglior Vino (89)
- Vintage 2009Guide Syrah du MondeAward Medaglia d'Argento
- Vintage 2009Guide Jancis RobinsonAward 15/20