A typical Etnean vineyard composed of 99 terraces with Nerello Mascalese vines. The ventilation, exposure, and particular altitude cause a slow ripening cycle with harvest time around the first ten days of November. Vinification takes place in stainless steel tank, followed by aging in 25 hl Slavonian oak barrels. It is a wine with a light ruby color that stands out for its floral notes on the nose and finesse on the palate. The soft tannins provide a long and complex finish.
Contrada Pianodario is one of the four “contrada” (district) where we live and work on Etna. It is located at an average altitude of 775 m.s.l. on the northern slope, between the areas of Montelaguardia and Randazzo. It is an 11.39-hectare vineyard, of which 8.84 hectares are vineyards planted in 2011. The type of training system chosen is mainly bush vine “against the wall with a very low percentage of bush vine on untreated chestnut poles, a typical “signature style” of Etna’s vineyards.
Characterized by distinct layers in which soil between 4,000 and 15,000 years old are found under a soil cover on much older soils (40,000 to 40,000 years old).
1. Flavor intensity
Grapes: Nerello Mascalese
Appellation: Red – Etna DOC
Production area: North slopes of Etna volcano – Contrada Pianodario. Randazzo, Catania – Sicily
Soil: volcanic formations that are between 4,000 and 15,000 years old
Year planted: 2010
Elevation: 775 m.a.s.l.
Exposure: northeast – southwest
Training system: espalier
Pruning system: walled bush vines
Vines per ha: 7,000
Yields per ha: 74 ql
Harvest: November 5th
Fermentation: traditional for reds
Fermentation temperature: 25-30°C
Duration of fermentation: 8 days
Malolactic fermentation: fully developed
Aging: 12 months in 25hl oak Slavonian oak barrels
Alcohol content: 13% Vol.
Wine analytical data: pH 3.26 – TA 6.75 g/l – RS 0.61 g/l – TE 25.4 g/l
- Vintage 2019Guide James SucklingAward 94/100
- Vintage 2019Guide FalstaffAward 93/100
- Vintage 2019Guide Slow WineAward Top Wine
- Vintage 2017Guide Wine EnthusiastAward 95/100
- Vintage 2017Guide James SucklingAward 94/100
- Vintage 2017Guide Robert ParkerAward 93/100
- Vintage 2017Guide Jancis RobinsonAward 17/20
- Vintage 2017Guide FalstaffAward 95/100
- Vintage 2017Guide Slow WineAward Top Wine
- Vintage 2016Guide DecanterAward 94/100
- Vintage 2016Guide Wine EnthusiastAward 96/100
- Vintage 2016Guide Jancis RobinsonAward 16,5/20
- Vintage 2016Guide Robert ParkerAward 93/100
- Vintage 2016Guide VinousAward 89/100
- Vintage 2016Guide Vinibuoni d’ItaliaAward Quattro Stelle
- Vintage 2016Guide Slow WineAward Grande Vino