Contrada Sciaranuova V. V.
A true “Clos” enclosed by a dry stone wall surrounded by a forest of chestnut trees. Located at 730 m.a.s.l in Contrada Sciaranuova, here is a wine that tells of the elegance and austerity of the Etnean territory, with the density and depth only the old vines can provide.
GRANDE VIGNA SCIARANUOVA
A MONUMENTAL VINEYARD
Dating back to 1961, the original planting was probably bush trained and later readapted to spurred cordon. Each vine represents a work of art that tells of harvests, dry seasons alternating with torrential rains, and the more recent dramatic climatic changes. Despite everything, each year the vines produce their fruit with consistency and balance.
THE REMAINS OF LAVA
As is often the case on Etna, we find a soil with multiple layers composed of different lava flows. Those at the surface have a greater presence of sand and crumbled rock dating from between 1,000 and 6,000 years ago (Solicchiata formation) that then rest on a layer of more solid rock from between 24,000 and 15,000 years ago.
1. Flavor intensity
Grapes: Nerello Mascalese
Appellation: Red – Etna DOC
Production area: North slopes of Etna volcano – Contrada Sciaranuova – Randazzo, Catania – Sicily
Soil: volcanic formations that are between 40,000 and 4,000 years old
Year Planted: 1961
Elevation: 730 m.a.s.l.
Training system: espalier
Pruning system: spur-pruned cordon
Vines per ha: 4,160
Yield per ha: 60 ql
Harvest period: October 25th
Climate: A mild start to the spring with good rainfall in March. A hot and dry summer. Good rainfall at the beginning of October ensured a slow maturation
Fermentation: traditional for reds
Fermentation temperature: 25-30°C
Duration of fermentation: 8 days
Malolactic fermentation: fully developed
Aging: 12 hl Slavonian oak barrels for 12 months and 30% in 300 liter third passage French oak barrels for 12 months
Alcohol content: 14% Vol.
Wine analytical data: pH 3.38 – TA 5.87 g/l – RS 0.74 g/l – TE 27.6 g/l
- Vintage 2017Guide Wine EnthusiastAward 96/100
- Vintage 2017Guide DecanterAward 96/100
- Vintage 2017Guide James SucklingAward 96/100
- Vintage 2017Guide FalstaffAward 96/100
- Vintage 2017Guide Robert ParkerAward 95+/100
- Vintage 2017Guide Jancis RobinsonAward 17++/20
- Vintage 2017Guide BibendaAward Cinque Grappoli
- Vintage 2017Guide Civiltà del BereAward Medaglia d’Oro
- Vintage 2016Guide Mondial des Vins ExtrêmesAward Médaille d’Or
- Vintage 2016Guide DecanterAward 95/100
- Vintage 2016Guide Wine EnthusiastAward 97/100Cellar selection
- Vintage 2016Guide Robert ParkerAward Top 100 WineDiscoveries 2020
- Vintage 2016Guide James SucklingAward 93/100
- Vintage 2016Guide Jancis RobinsonAward 17,5/20
- Vintage 2016Guide Wine&SpiritsAward 93/100
- Vintage 2016Guide BibendaAward Cinque Grappoli
- Vintage 2016Guide Doctor WineAward 97/100
- Vintage 2016Guide I Vini di VeronelliAward 94/100Grande Esordio